by Todd Yamashita | Aug 18, 2018 | Hikianalia Updates, Newsletter, Teachers, Updates, World Wide Voyage
Hikianalia has launched and is on her 2,800 mile trek to California. With us today we have renowned waterman Archie Kalepa. He reports the canoe heading north with winds 10-14 knots and seas 4 ft. “Hikianalia was built by the Okeanos Foundation”...
by Todd Yamashita | Aug 18, 2018 | Hikianalia Updates, News, Newsletter, Photo Galleries, Teachers, Updates, World Wide Voyage
Aug 18 MORNING UPDATE: HIKIANALIA DEPARTS FOR CALIFORNIA After a nearly three-week weather delay, Polynesian voyaging canoe Hikianalia departed Sand Island, Honolulu at 7:00 a.m. this morning for San Francisco, California. The departure officially launches the...
by Todd Yamashita | Aug 17, 2018 | Hikianalia Updates, News, Newsletter, Teachers, Updates, World Wide Voyage
UPDATE: As of 3 p.m., Aug 17, Hikianalia is now scheduled to depart from METC Sat, Aug 18 at 5:30 a.m. Lehua Kamalu is captain of Leg 1 of Alahula Kai o Maleka, Hikianalia’s California Voyage and she is serving up today’s video update. While the departure of...
by Todd Yamashita | Aug 17, 2018 | Hikianalia Updates, News, Newsletter, Teachers, Updates, World Wide Voyage
Based on the latest weather update, Polynesian Voyaging Society leadership has decided to reschedule Hikianalia’s departure to 5:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. “The forecasted track of Hurricane Lane does not pose a risk to the canoe, but we are making a conservative...
by Todd Yamashita | Aug 16, 2018 | Featured, Hikianalia Updates, News, Newsletter, Teachers, Updates, World Wide Voyage
Aug 17 AFTERNOON UPDATE: HIKIANALIA DEPARTURE RESCHEDULED TO TOMORROW MORNING Based on the latest weather update, Polynesian Voyaging Society leadership has decided to reschedule Hikianalia’s departure to 5:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. “The forecasted track of Hurricane...
by Todd Yamashita | Aug 3, 2018 | Hikianalia Updates, News, Newsletter, Teachers, World Wide Voyage
As unfavorable winds continue and with Hurricane Hector potentially impacting the Hawaiian Islands, the Polynesian Voyaging Society (PVS) has decided to postpone the departure of Hikianalia until next week at the earliest. “We are concerned about our crew on the canoe...